Seasons in the sunset - A seventy (+3) year old looks ahead and back

Seasons in the sunset - A 80 year old
looks ahead and back

Friday, November 18, 2011

NJ-CA Phone Conversation

NJ-CA Phone Conversation
 
I’m in California, visiting oldest daughter Brett and family. Brett is dialing the phone, calling New Jersey to talk with her sister Ashley. I’m reading the newspaper, drinking coffee. It is Saturday, 6:30 AM on the west coast, 9:30 in New Jersey.  

Emma, age 10 answers - Hello. FYI, Emma has two siblings: Johnny (age 5) and Eddie (age 7)
Brett, Emma’s aunt, enthusiastically  - Hi Emma, how’s it going?
Emma - Good I guess.
Brett, still enthused - What’s happening?
Emma - Well - Johnny was playing with tic-tacs. And I thought they were mine.
              So I went upstairs and saw that they weren’t mine.
            
* Here I suspect there is a possible gap in the description of the actual events. i.e. something else happened between “And I thought they were mine” and “So I went upstairs …” … but to continue with Emma’s version:

             Then when I came back down Johnny didn’t understand me so he started beating me up. (read - Johnny's fault) So I started beating him up. (read - totally justified)
            Then Eddie started beating me up. (read not justified)
       ** So daddy started wrestling with Eddie holding him down.

Brett - So, ....  that’s what’s happening?
Emma - Uh-huh.

All in good fun, I’m sure.

** I must say, that I believe the image conveyed by Emma may be decidedly unfair to daddy, the “peacemaker” who was doubtless so very gently separating his two darling children. I mean “wrestling?” I don’t think so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment