Seasons in the sunset - A seventy (+3) year old looks ahead and back

Seasons in the sunset - A 80 year old
looks ahead and back

Saturday, April 24, 2021

The Number One Movie in the World

­­­­­­­­­­­­

The Number One Movie in the World

“Papa, will you take me to see the Sponge Bob movie?”
“What’s that?” I say. 
I know full-well what that is. I’m trying to suppress my first reaction which is to say, “I’d rather stick needles in my eyes.”

But I'm struck by the sweet, innocent look of my grandson’s face.

“It’s the number one movie in the world,” Johnny, age 8, offers, looking up from his seat on the couch. Now, along with sweet and innocent, I see honesty and sincerity on his face. He’s trying to reassure me, that I'll enjoy it also.  

Darling boy.
Does he know, or remember, that in the not too distant past, I pushed for a family-wide ban on all Sponge Bob TV episodes? 
OK, when was that?

I can’t remember. Regardless, the ban didn’t work out. I should have known better.
Not important.
 “Of course I’ll take you,” I say to Johnny.
“It’s the number one movie,” John reiterates. More reassurance. I want to hug him. Does he know I hate Sponge Bob? OK, perhaps that is too strong.   
Whatever. 

I make a mental adjustment to my Saturday afternoon plans; I replace nothing with, movie theater, two hours.
Next, I head upstairs to inquire if older brother Eddie wants to go.

“Ed, we’re going to see the Sponge Bob movie Saturday. You want to go with us?”

“No,” Ed says in a tone that suggests an implied "That’s sooooo absurd."
This surprises me. I remember Eddie as the Sponger’s number one fan in his younger days. Ed is eleven currently.
“You don’t?” I say.
“No,” says Ed, this time a rhetorical Are you nuts? is implied.
I’ll try another time, I decide.
As Saturday approaches I’m mildly shocked by the happiness I feel, knowing that I’m doing this, and honored that John felt that I was to one to ask.
In the theater, at the snack counter, I successfully talk John out of a five dollar candy bar. More happiness. As we search for seats I notice myriad wastebasket size buckets of popcorn ($8, as I recall) on various patron’s laps.
The movie lives up to its billing – i.e. my billing, not the “number one” billing. 
Regardless, I am nothing less than overjoyed throughout, especially when I glance over at John and notice his rapt attention. 

Beautiful is all I can say. 


Epilogue (of sorts): I have just begun a book by Daniel Klein, “Travels with Epicurus”. The subtitle is …in Search of a Fulfilled Life. My thought about a little help for a fulfilled life would be: Go see The Sponge Bob Movie with your grandson or granddaughter. 

Best if under ten of course.       
 

No comments:

Post a Comment