Seasons in the sunset - A seventy (+3) year old looks ahead and back

Seasons in the sunset - A 80 year old
looks ahead and back

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Johnny He's a Joker

Johnny He's a Joker

Just talked to daughter Ashley. She said that, last night “Johnny (age 6) asked Eddie (age 9), ‘Ed do I have money in the bank to go to college?’”


Ed said, “I don’t know – where do you want to go?”

John's answer: “Clown College.”

Eddie was in one of his mature moods. Other moods as they relate to little brother are "torment mood" and "ignore mood."  Mature mood, I also think of as sweet and loving.

Ed: “OK, that - probably yes.”

John: “Actually I don’t want to go there – I want to go to Brown.”

The family, with various roots in Rhode Island, once toured the Brown campus. Emma, 12 maintains that she and cousin Anna are going there. Go for it is all I can say.

Ed: “That’s a big difference.

John: "Why?"

Ed: "Brown costs a lot.”

John: “Can I get a scholarship?”

Ed: “No.” Practical Ed here.

John: “If I practice?”

Ed: “Practice what?”

John: “Basketball.”

Ed: “You better practice a lot.” Realistic Ed.

John: “When Papa comes home I’ll practice 5 hours every day.”

Ed: “ You've got to be smart too.” 

John: “I’m smart.”

I think it ended there, but the part I liked best was “When Papa comes home … ” I was visiting daughter Brett in California when this conversation took place. Happy that they had not forgotten me.

And I was also impressed with Ed's thoughtfulness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment