Seasons in the sunset - A seventy (+3) year old looks ahead and back

Seasons in the sunset - A 80 year old
looks ahead and back

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Day 6 Cross-Country - Colorado, New Mexico

Day 6 Cross-Country - Colorado, New Mexico 
 
Campus Tour 
In the morning of day six we headed for the USAF Academy to embark on our version of a campus tour: the book store, the athletic fields, and hockey rink on foot, but the rest by car seeking a quick “college campus” panorama. Then it’s done.

The resplendent Academy grounds, set against the foothills of the majestic Rocky Mountains were compelling. They were pristine and manicured in a manner fitting of a national landmark with a defense department budget. 
 
I Should Work-Out More
“School” was not in session, but there were a number of “cadets” moving about on the various fields, courts and rinks. As I watched them it made me want to exercise more, plus it triggered my usual old man’s awe for the beauty of youth. No it didn’t make me sad- on the contrary, happy – for them, for me and the abundant blessings of this beautiful earth.

Looking at the grandeur of the mountains, the lush lands as well as the bright faces walking about, it was easy to forget that a significant product of this establishment was bombs dropped from the sky. I preferred to think of the young troopers as stewards of our land, akin to CCC or Peace Corps cadets.

Westward Ho
After our tour it was onward - further west into Colorado Springs proper, which I was looking forward to.

We managed to find the “town center” in our predictable hit or miss fashion.

“Turn down this street.” 

“You think so?”

“I don’t know. Maybe.”

Eventually we pulled the Toyota into a parking spot around the town green.

We saw immediately that the midday character of the city was offset by small but noticeable collection of homeless-hippie-beggar-types scattered around the green – often a characteristic of beautiful western American cities. 

Whether they were homeless, I was uncertain, but by the looks of their crimson faces and rolled blankets in overstuffed backpacks they appeared to be spending much time in the outdoors. Plus staking out positions in the middle of the sidewalk indicated that they wanted to engage the everyday passerby, especially tourists.

OK, I often give to beggars, usually even, but a gift here seemed unwise. Engaging one unfortunate street person, maybe, but getting involved with a group, no.


Lightening Bolts
So Brett and I were careful as we negotiated our way through the downtown streets. We purchased a cup of coffee and got back into the car and hit the road (interstate) pointing for Santa Fe, NM.

The route had us aiming for black storm clouds and menacing, but beautiful, daggers of lightening much of the way into Santa Fe. I stayed on the interstate rather than risk an auto-trek through the mountain pass trails to our right. Guess I've wised up at 70 despite seeing it work on TV with those off-road Jeeps, mud splattered, with rugged cowpokes at the wheel. Plus I was still carrying precious cargo – daughter Brett. 

 With our entrance into the Santa Fe city limits came the usual questions – how to find the downtown area and where to stay for a reasonable price?

Shark Attack
We spotted the Santa Fe Hilton a block from the town square. I put it this way to the pleasant young lad behind the desk, 

“Would my daughter and I be able to afford to stay here?”

“I can give you two double beds for $169,” he said.

“Sold,” I said.

“Hold on,” he said as he handed me a registration form. He had a phone call. 

“What?!!” he exclaimed into the phone. “A shark attack? Where? OK I’ll send someone. Bye” He hung up.

He got back to us, started to pencil in our reservation then looked up at our puzzled faces. “Shark attack is a clogged toilet,” he said.

Who knew?

“Not your room,” he assured.

We had a nice dinner, a good sleep (thanks to a barbiturate or two in my case) and breakfast on the green. Then it was off to Winslow, AZ - the surprise highlight of our trip.


     

No comments:

Post a Comment